The Capability, Armament & Planning Directorate (CAP) Directorate supports the coherent development of the European defence landscape by integrating EDA’s involvement in the Capability Development Plan (CDP), the Coordinated Annual Review on Defence (CARD) and the Permanent Structured Cooperation (PESCO). The Directorate also identifies, plans and proposes collaborative opportunities in support of EU capability development priorities and tailored to Member States’ needs, representing a coherent approach from priority setting to impact.
The Directorate is in charge of elaborating the Capability Development Plan, based on the analysis of military requirements conducted together with Member States. It also identifies output- oriented EU capability development priorities and coordinates the development of Strategic Context Cases to facilitate the implementation of these priorities.
The Directorate coordinates the Coordinated Annual Review on Defence, for which the Agency provides the secretariat, establishing a regularly updated overview of the European defence capability landscape and its coherence.
The Directorate provides EDA’s secretariat functions to PESCO, together with the European External Action Service, including the EU Military Staff. Within the PESCO secretariat, the Directorate coordinates EDA’s assessment of PESCO project proposals from the capability perspective, as well as the National Implementation Plans of PESCO participating Member States and supports PESCO project implementation.
The CAP Directorate comprises six Units with the following key areas of activity:
- Cooperation Planning Unit: CDP, CARD, Defence Data
- PESCO Unit: PESCO secretariat functions, including support to PESCO projects
- Land and Logistics Unit: Land platforms, Counter-IED, Personnel Recovery, Military Mobility, Logistics, Medical Support
- Air Domain Unit: Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems, Air-to-Air Refueling, Airlift
- Maritime Unit: Maritime Surveillance, Mine Counter Measures, naval training, harbor protection
- Information Superiority Unit: Communication & Information Systems, Surveillance & Reconnaissance, Space, Cyber Defence